Do you like taking cold showers? Probably not. If you have a large family, then getting a hot shower in the morning can be a struggle. Sometimes by the time you get to take a shower, the hot water has already run out. Nothing starts your day out on the wrong foot like having to take a cold shower.
Did you know there’s a way to have virtually endless hot water? Not only that, but you will save money, while helping the environment. If it sounds too good to be true, it’s not. This miracle device is called a tankless water heater.
The traditional tank water heater
Tank heaters have been in North American homes since 1889, reported Prentiss Gray of the Daily Record. They really haven’t changed much since then either. These large tanks are usually located in the basement and they’re pretty hard to miss. They need to be repaired or replaced quite frequently, they’re not very effective and worst of all, they waste your money. If you’re using one of these dinosaurs, you’ve probably been paying too much for hot water.
Old water heaters can store a lot of water, but use energy to keep it warm. When all the hot water in the tank has been used, either in the shower, the sink or the dishwasher, you only get cold water until the heater has been able to warm more up. Sometimes this can take an hour or longer. In the meantime, even if you don’t use all the hot water, you’re still paying for the heater to keep it warm.
How a tankless water heater works
A tankless unit uses propane or electricity to heat water as it passes through. It only heats the water when you need it, so there’s no need to continuously pay to heat the water sitting in the tank regardless of whether it’s being used or not.
Why you should go tankless
Here are some of the many ways that tankless water heaters can benefit your home:
- Hot water on demand: Unlike traditional heaters that have to keep water warm at all times, a tankless water heater only heats the water you use. Think of it as hot water on demand.
- Cost savings: Since it only heats what you need, that means you only have to pay for the water you actually use, instead of paying to keep the water in the tank warm.
- Energy efficiency: By using less energy, tankless water heaters help the environment by reducing your carbon footprint.
- Never-ending hot water: Since these units heat water as it passes through the unit, you will enjoy a virtually endless supply of hot water. There is not a limited supply that will be used up. Unlike old tank heaters, tankless models keep heating water and there’s no need to wait for more to heat up.
- Space savings: A tankless water heater takes up less space in your home than a large tank.
- Longevity: Tankless heaters usually last longer than older traditional tanked heaters, and you don’t have to worry about them bursting and spilling water all over your basement.
If you’re interested in saving money while enjoying more hot water with a tankless water heater, please contact our friendly staff. At SMO Energy, our technicians can install a new, efficient water heater that your family will love.
Last Updated on July 15, 2022 by SMO Energy